ISRI’s Gulf Coast Region has awarded scholarships to 17 students in its annual scholarship program. Each student will receive $2,000 to apply toward tuition in any accredited educational institution designed to meet the requirements for an academic, professional, or occupational degree for the 2022-2023 academic year. The region awards scholarships to select students who are dependents of employees of the region’s member companies.
“This scholarship is able to help so many students each year,” says scholarship program chair Emily Ziegler, vice president of Davis Iron & Metal. “It’s a benefit of being a member of ISRI and of the Gulf Coast Region that companies and employees can take advantage of.”
The long-running Gulf Coast Region scholarship program operates under the auspices of the Recycling Research and Education Foundation’s William A. Bushman Memorial Scholarship Fund. The region raises funds for the scholarship program through an annual golf tournament and direct donations.
Now that the awards have been announced, Ziegler intends to reach out to all the applicants by phone to share the good news. “Just in case they haven’t heard about it yet or if their parents don’t know, we like to give them a phone call to let them know they’ve been selected,” she says.
This year’s scholarship winners, along with their sponsoring ISRI/Gulf Coast region member company/location and the school they will attend, are as follows:
- Waylon Adams, Yaffe Metals (Tulsa, Okla.); University of Tulsa
- Johnathan Arme, Himes Service Co. (Robinson, Texas); Oberlin College
- Jordan Chisholm, Commercial Metals Co. (Irving, Texas); University of Oklahoma
- Jimena Corona, Louisiana Scrap Metal Recycling (Port Allen, La.); Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University
- Lucas Dexter, Allmetal Recycling (Wichita, Kan.); Kansas State University
- Kenley Funderburk, Louisiana Scrap Metal Recycling (Port Allen, La.); Louisiana State University
- Maria Gonzalez, EXIM Inc. (Sugar Land, Texas); Texas Tech University
- Carley Guillot, Louisiana Scrap Metal Recycling (Lafayette, La.); Louisiana State University
- Alyssa Huff, Commercial Metals Co., Liberty Division (Dallas); University of North Texas
- Candace Jackson, Jackson Iron & Metal Co. Inc. (Jackson, Miss.); University of Southern Mississippi
- Cameron Johnson, Commercial Metals Co. (Irving, Texas); Texas Tech University
- Ashton Lindeman, OmniSource LLC (Corpus Christi, Texas); Del Mar College
- Bryan Ora, Missouri Metals (St. Louis); Missouri Southern State University
- Hunter Price, Metal Recycling Corp. (Little Rock, Ark.); University of Central Arkansas
- Angelina Quigley, Louisiana Scrap Metal Recycling (Port Allen, La.); Southeastern Louisiana University
- Maddie White, Yaffe Iron & Metal Co. Inc. (Muskogee, Okla.); Northeastern State University
- Jorga Williams, Yaffe Metals (Tulsa, Okla.); Oklahoma State University
For more information on the Gulf Coast region’s scholarship program, contact Ziegler via email.
Photo courtesy of Joshua Hoehne via unsplash.com.